Topic: Inductions
View Single Post
May 3rd, 2013, 03:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think millions of people benefit from intervention. I also think that some drs are very quick to step in at times because those interventions make things more convenient.

This is how I feel. I actually heard an ad from the state of Oklahoma on the radio yesterday (I live 10 minutes from the Texas/Oklahoma border) urging women to educate themselves about elective inductions ESPECIALLY before your EDD because it can cause so many otherwise unnecessary interventions to occur and be harmful to your baby. Many women around here are induced starting at 38 weeks for the mothers and doctors convenience. The thing is you EDD can be off up to two weeks (because many women don't chart or know exactly when they got pregnant) so you could be really inducing at 36 weeks...

Someone also mentioned their moms labor stalling and so they had to have interventions. I am currently reading Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth and it talks about something called a sphincter law. Apparently a woman's body can cause it self to close back up when put in an uncomfortable situation (kind of like it's hard to pee in front of people lol) and it was actually listed in old medical books from the turn of the century as a reason why doctors needed to be kind and comforting to their patients, never yelling at them to push, and never making them seem uncomfortable or rushed. It might not have been the case with your mom but I find it interesting so I thought I'd post it.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!