View Single Post
May 4th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I realize (and respect) that some people are A-okay with their kids wearing make up, or doing the whole pageant thing, or whatever else. I personally don't want my daughter wearing make up and I don't know when I will feel comfortable with it. I don't think make up is like "the devil" or anything. I want my daughter to realize how beautiful she is just the way she is, though, and *for our family* not promoting make up use at an early age is one small part of that, though I'm sure the same can be achieved even by those who do allow their children to wear make up at a young age.

Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way

I took my daughter for her ballet pictures yesterday and I admit I was surprised by all the make up the kids were wearing. I would say that 90% of the kids there, aged 3-12, were wearing make up. Don't get me wrong, I expected to see little ones in make up for that, but I just didn't expect my daughter to be in the minority, especially with the younger ones. I thought some, maybe half, would be in make up, but not MOST!

So, maybe make up on little girls is more common than I realized? I know it's because it was ballet pictures. I know many "stage" activities like to use make up (some argue it's necessary, but in my experience it has never been necessary, especially not for a little kid to wear eye shadow and mascara). I rather they just say they do it because they want to than to say make up is "necessary" so you don't "disappear" on stage, because that's just not true.

Anyway, how do you ladies feel about this? Do most moms see nothing wrong with make up for special occasions on preschoolers and grade schoolers? Does anyone else feel like me--that it's just not necessary?

Again, if other people want to do that, that's fine. I just don't want anyone telling *my* daughter that she *needs* make up. I am also really glad that she didn't notice she was the "odd one out" for not wearing make up. I think it helps though that I almost never wear make up myself.

Last edited by alittlelost; May 4th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.