View Single Post
May 5th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What kinds of fetal monitoring are non-invasive and still allow you to have mobility during labor? I had intermittent monitoring with a doppler. In the beginning they checked me every hour or two. Once I hit transition they checked me a lot more. Maybe every 20 minutes or less?

What are heparin and saline IV locks? Why are they used? This is where they place the IV in but don't hook any medicine to it. It's there incase you need something later. I didn't have an IV.

What does, "deliver the placenta spontaneously and without assistance" mean? Non-augmented with pitocin/oxytocin? I believe you're right. I delivered mine without any assistance other than my midwives helping me.

Why might they give a newborn sugar water? No clue. Low blood sugar?

What is the purpose of the eye ointment? Is it the same as eye antibiotics? I believe it's for incase the mom has an STD, either chylamdia or gonorhea? I did not have this done because I knew I didn't have it.

What is the vitamin k shot? Why is it given? This is for blood clotting I believe. My midwives didn't want me to get it because they said I didn't need it but I wanted to because we circumsize.

What is the purpose of the heel stick? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's to test for a variety of diseases. A nurse came to our house 2 days PP and did it, not when he was born. We were told by our pedi that it's a mandatory test but who knows. If it happens right at birth maybe they're testing blood sugar levels?

I'm not a doctor so this is just what I can remember from my experience.