View Single Post
May 6th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Hiya!
Another lay mans experience, but this is what I know about said questions:

What kinds of fetal monitoring are non-invasive and still allow you to have mobility during labor? A fetoscope (like a stethoscope) is the least invasive and gives mobility. Doppler is the second least (it produces sound waves, hence being second). Most normal labors can use one of those two things every hour-two to monitor baby for a few minutes. Intermittent fetal monitoring is common in hospitals, meaning you can move around except the five minutes you are hooked up to their machine. But you can often still sit upright or be on a birthing ball. All three allow the most mobility.

What are heparin and saline IV locks? Why are they used? Like Dani said, it's a precaution in many hospitals. They are the same thing, just a port in your arm for administering meds if needed. Apparently, it's not a bad plan to have one in labor if you are anticipating any problems (bleeding issues, BP issues), but unnecessary if there are no risk factors. Some hospitals require them for all delivering mothers, some don't. I did not have one for my first and did for my second (and got saline in it with him).

What does, "deliver the placenta spontaneously and without assistance" mean? Non-augmented with pitocin/oxytocin? Yep...just means letting your body do its thing. Most places do it spontaneously, unless there appear to be issues.

Why might they give a newborn sugar water? Low blood sugar/difficulty maintaining temperature. My second had a bit from a cup. They generally give you the option of using a bit of sugar water or a bit of formula.

What is the purpose of the eye ointment? Is it the same as eye antibiotics? STD prevention treatment. And yes, they are the same. It's not necessary unless you know there might be an issue. Some hospitals are more strict on giving it than others. Neither of my boys have had it.

What is the vitamin k shot? Why is it given? Its to give baby a boost of clotting factors. To prevent bleeding. I hope someone can give a good place to read about it. I never really outright made a decision on it. Just happened that my first got one and my second didnt. But I need to read more about it.

What is the purpose of the heel stick? It tests for a wide host of metabolic disorders that can be controlled with dietary changes/medications. Things like PKU. Usually it's a two part test...one at 24 hours or so and one at a week or two. I know it's required n our state, but might not be everywhere.