View Single Post
May 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so we've had our baby's name picked out for a while now, and a few months ago came up with our 'back up name'.

Our first choice is familiar, easy to say and spell, but not overly used (in fact I don't know anyone personally with that name) very classic... imagine 80 yr old man!

Our back up, is of Scandinavian origin, and will likely be mis pronounced if read off the page (something I grew up with 100% of the time, so it's not really a concern)

We haven't shared either name with family/friends, but my mom knows about as many details as above. She got really upset with me the other night about our back up name because as she claims she'll never be able to say it, and giving a child an 'ethnic' name when neither of his parents are from that region (Dh's family identifies as Icelandic Canadian, even though their closest relatives there immigrated a few generations back.) is 'posing' and really ridiculous. Her biggest concern would be that we use a name like Fridgeir or something, we're not.

My family never had any 'cultural identity', my mom's side specifically were border jumpers between russian and germany depending on what was politically convenient. Her thinking is that when you live in Canada you should have a "Canadian" name I don't really believe that these exist, or at least without being a totally ridiculous made up name....kinda like Kalynn .. so I challenge you... what would be a Canadian name?