View Single Post
May 6th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, it's early to be thinking about this since the baby isn't even here yet, but it's on my mind.

With DD I breastfed for 4 months, then switched to formula. Around six months we started introducing the rice cereals followed by store bought baby food from a jar. I was working full time and in school full time, and it was easier to drop her off at the babysitter with a jar that I bought, rather than cooking, pureeing, freezing, packaging, etc. Then when she started eating real food, it was just easier to give her things I knew she liked, rather than fighting with her to get her to try new things. This kickstarted 4 years of incredibly picky eating. I finally wised up and just stopped giving her any choice in the matter. She eats what we eat, end of story. And surprisingly, we've only had a handful of food related tantrums in the year or so since I started doing that.

With Baby #2, I'd like to skip the whole picky stage if I can. I'm not the slightest bit picky, but DH is and DD is, and it drives me absolutely nuts. I'm determined to do it right with baby #2. (Isn't that always the way? We figure out all our screw-ups with Baby #1.)

I've been looking into Baby-led weaning, and I have to say it looks promising. The idea of having the baby sit with us at meal times and get little bits of whatever it is that we're eating sounds great. From what I understand, it starts out as more of a tactile experience...learning to pick up the food and get it to their mouths...tasting a bit...eventually eating. In my mind, starting the baby out with a range of real foods rather than tasteless mush will lead to a child who grows up with a broad palate - not a child who grows up and refuses to eat anything but PB& J and goldfish crackers. Plus, it's a heck of a lot less work to just give the baby bits of food off my plate to play with and taste, rather than all the cooking, straining, pureeing, etc of baby food.

Does anyone have experience with baby-led weaning? I'll take any advice or stories of personal experience that I can get!