View Single Post
May 6th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
...with the nurse-midwife who will deliver Henry! Our plan is kinda wonky because of insurance issues. Here, VBACs are only covered by insurance in the hospital. Last time we were trying for a homebirth with licensed midwives who didn't have hospital privileges, and ended up transferring care after 48 hours of labor. We loved the midwife who took over once we got to the hospital, and she has a great working relationship with the homebirth midwives we had been seeing. So when I found out I was pregnant again, we wanted to stick with the homebirth midwives for prenatal care because we'd built such a great relationship with them but we've known all along that we'll be switching to the CNM for a hospital delivery.

I was nervous about meeting her because although I remember her fondly, I met her after two days of labor and I was totally out of it by the time we got to the hospital. I do have reservations about planning a hospital birth because I feel like being in that environment might hinder the labor process for me. But our meeting was great and while she's obviously pretty conservative (compared to our homebirth team) she assured me that this hospital has a 75% VBAC success rate and theyll do everything they can to help us. I do have to have continuous fetal monitoring but they have telemetry so I can still move around, and even get in the tub. I have to have an IV but it can just be a heplock so they can get a line in quickly if needed. I can go to 42 weeks and they will absolutely not induce, and they're VERY cautious about the use of epidural and pitocin. I don't feel like they'll be pushing interventions on me. Phew!

DH and I are feeling really good about our chances and we're happy to be all on the same page. This ball's really going to get rolling soon!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13