View Single Post
May 7th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Learning to walk in faith
I had an etiquette question I was hoping you ladies could help me with.

I'm planning to a) nurse and b) cloth diaper. My question is this: is there a way to discourage well-meaning family and friends from buying us sposie diapers and formula?

I've read that some expectant parents will put things like the actual cloth diapers and accessories or breast pumps on their registries to subtly let everyone know that those are their preferences. The problem with this for us is that I'm well into building up my CD already; shopping while I've got ample time has given me a lot of opportunities to look for good deals and participate in group buys that will save us a lot of money. I would hate for other people to spend a ton on something I can get for less. As far as nursing goes, I'm not planning to pick up a breast pump because I don't really have a reason to need one at this point.

I've considered putting things like Snappis/diaper pins, safe-for-CDs detergent, etc. on my list but am not sure that people who are unfamiliar with CDing will understand what those items are really for. I've got absolutely nada for nursing.

Is there a tasteful way to just ask that people not buy those things? I feel awkward specifying gifts that way and am nervous that it would read sort of like, "Please buy me things, but only things that I deem good enough!" which is not my intent. I also don't want my formula feeding and non-cloth diapering friends and family (or family who used formula and sposies when their kids were babies) to be offended either. I don't really have any drama types that I'm particularly worried about, but I know making alternative choices can sometimes put other people on the defensive and I don't want to be that person.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!