View Single Post
May 14th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As far as u/s goes, I think the standards are the early dating u/s and the anatomy scan at or around 20 weeks. Generally speaking, that is all most places do unless there is cause for concern. I'm pretty sure a lot of insurance companies only cover those two unless there is a demonstrated medical need to have another. We had to have one at 26 weeks to check a choreoplexis (sp?) on her brain that they saw at the 20 week u/s to make sure it was gone on its own. I just had one yesterday b/c I was measuring small and, up to this point, my growth had been pretty steady. I think practices on measuring fundal height vary bc there is not an exact standard for measuring everyone. Different people may measure differently due to weight or how baby is lying. So some doctors just don't do it. If there was any cause for concern, I'm sure your doctor would let you know. And if you're concerned, definitely bring it up and ask why at your next appt. They can probably explain it to you so that you won't be worried.

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw both doctors and midwives with DD and I think it was only the midwives who measured my fundal height. I only see midwives this time around and they have measured at all of my 2nd and 3rd tri appts. Not sure if it has anything to do with anything or not, but just thought of that.