View Single Post
May 16th, 2013, 06:12 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I definitely had my moments where I wondered what in the world we were doing! My pregnancy with the twins was not so great...16 weeks on bedrest. I felt awful because either Claire stayed with friends during the day while DH was working or she stayed home with me, but I couldn't really play with her like she wanted. Then I lived at the hospital for 4 weeks with the twins and only saw Claire a couple hours a day (DH took leave from work and stayed at home with her). At times I felt like we were going to ruin her.

BUT, in the grand scheme of things, that was such a short time in their lives! To me the short-term frustrations were worth what they will have for the rest of their lives...each other. My sister was the best gift my parents could have given me, and I never wanted just one baby.

I kind of babied Claire in a lot of ways and though I didn't see it before, I was doing things for her that she could do herself. Now that I am busier, I often ask her to do the little things for herself, and she is SO proud that she can show me what a big girl she is. Letting her be a little more independent has been great for her.

I also get to see what a wonderful big sister Claire is. The other day I was in the middle of changing one of Abigail's blow-outs, and George woke from his nap a little upset. Without me saying a word, Claire jumped up and said, "I'll go check on Georgie." A few minutes later, Claire was sitting by his pack-n-play reading him a story and he was all smiles. It was so sweet! She loves to dance around and make them giggle, and when she lays on the floor the babies love to crawl all over her and smother her with kisses

Sorry to be long-winded about it. I guess the short answer is that I did worry about how Claire would adjust and if I'd be able to be a good Mama to 3 kids, but I have no regrets. Watching the love these kids already have for each other is priceless, and they'll have lifelong friends long after DH and I are gone.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)