View Single Post
May 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Melissa
I'm with Jenny - I am kind of battling the urge to save money with the urge to have new things.. especially because we do intend on having at least another child after this one. I don't want to be ungrateful, greedy, any end of the spectrum - I don't like how hand me downs get political. I have turned down car seats, pack and plays, and things like cribs because they are all items that get a lot of use, have expiration dates, or have periodic recalls etc. (That was a little argument - why don't you want these 7 year old carseats that went through 2 kids who are always messy and are also expired? Ungrateful.) Plus I can't get over how messy some people are. Things like a bumbo, little baby swing, etc all would be great hand me downs (if I can wash the pad/cloth parts of them). Clothing too, but not like bags and bags - I will not be stock piling hoards of clothing so I'd make sure they didn't want the clothing back and donate what I didn't use or encourage them to do it (after all, if they bought it, it should be their tax credit!).

On the one hand I hope we have a girl so we can get some hand me down clothing from my SIL who buys a ton online but on the other hand, if it's a boy I won't have to tread on any political landmines, since my friends here all have boys and are more chill (I could go through them to pick items and not offend, know what I mean?) and they already have an exchange going.