View Single Post
May 17th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Regular
The first thing I noticed is that you are in or from Santiago. Is this correct? If so, then medical practices in other countries differ from the US. Here, many Reproductive Endocrynologists will tell you that losing weight would make it easier, but will also immediately get blood work, do exams, and begin the process. That is just how we work here. It is a multimillion dollar business and the more BFP's they produce, the greater their business. I was DX at the age of 35, after having 2 kids,using no birth control and getting married at 18. I had my first at 22, and my second at 30. From there I sought out help. My OB/GYN sent me to an Endo. He took exams from both my husband and I. I was diagnosed with PCOS, and he was diagnosed with male infertility. He had it all: very low count, morphology, and motility issues.

Now, at the time I was about 220 lbs. I had just started Met. Eventually I worked through all the tests and began the process for IUI as Clomid etc works well when your husband is fine. Bottom line:

He counseled many woman that, while trying to conceive, work on your OWN health. PCOS is MORE than just a reproductive issue, it affects the heart, the liver, and so many other facets. We NEED to be healthy. Period. It is a lifelong work, yes, but there is nothing wrong with working on losing weight while TTC.

With the breastfeeding, it often suppresses ovulation. After I breastfed for about 13 months, I stopped. I did this 4 times over. After quitting breastfeeding, I didn't have a period for another 9 months! NINE!

Look, if you want to add to your family, and you are 37, you may not ovulate right away after bf'ing. You may need to lose a few pounds. If you do, and conceive on your own, then you can tell that dr, "No thanks to you, I did it!" But, if you do drop 20 lbs and are having a cycle and don't get pregnant, you'll need someone to help you. All dr's are expected to guide patients to health. While I admit the truth is hard to hear, and maybe the dr doesn't have good bedside manner, you know she is only trying to tell you what it will take to reach your goal.

You could do nothing, be angry at this one doc, and then continue on this path. You may or may not conceive on your own. But in 3 years, when you are 40, and nothing has happened, who is to blame? Certainly not this doctor.

If you search out the top doctor would you expect any less? Some doctors who work with the morbidly obese will not conduct weight loss surgery to help the patient lose weight, until they first....lose weight! Sound counterintuitive? Maybe...OR perhaps they are helping the patient help themself AND demonstrate how sincere they are toward this goal.

You CAN do this, you CAN do your part. From there, it's a mix of medications, support, strategy and whether or not your body responds to all that treatment. We have no control over that part.

Weeee