View Single Post
May 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know how much stuff you have, but when I moved to Texas from Iowa, I used one of these : Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving | U-Pack

I don't remember exactly how much it cost at that time, but I am thinking it was around $400 to ship my 2 bedroom apartment. And you'd be surprised how much stuff can fit into a pod! Granted, you may need two to accommodate what you have in your whole house, but it really isn't TOO bad.

When I moved back to Iowa from Texas, I got a little more crafty...if you know anybody who works at or runs a trucking company (ask around, I bet you can find somebody who knows someone), ask how much they would charge to move you. I was able to have a friend come to Texas in a semi, and he packed up all of my stuff AND MY CAR inside the semi, and moved me back home. All he asked was that I pay for part of the fuel. I think I chipped in like $400. Fuel has gone up a little since then (that was 2009), but still...pretty cheap for a trip across the country!