View Single Post
May 17th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
I guess this is one area where I am not so AP. If my son is told no and continues to do the behavior there will be a consequence. And yes, this did begin at 2. Children need to learn that there are rules and consequences to breaking those rules. Whether or not it harms the child or others is irrelevant.

I'd love to hear an example where whether or not it harms the child or someone else or themselves in some way is irrelevant. For example, brushing your teeth after a meal is a rule, because not doing so would be harmful to themselves. Waiting in line is a rule, because cutting in from of someone else would be hurtful to them. I just can't think of a rule we don't have (that anyone else thinks we need) that doesn't come down to being respectful of themselves, others, and their environment (ie, not doing anything that is harmful to themselves, others, or their environment) so I'd love to hear some examples Not to mention, I personally think anything harmful is ALWAYS relevant, but to each their own Still, to me, that is the whole point of having boundaries! If I had boundaries just for the heck of it (ie--you aren't allowed to eat purple food because I said so) then I would just be teaching my children that boundaries are there because other people said so, and so they must listen (no matter what--which is dangerous thinking, IMO), instead of teaching them that boundaries are there for a reason, to keep everyone healthy and safe and feeling respected. I also find it helps my children trust me. They know that if I make a rule, there will be a reason for that rule. I'm not making rules just to exert power. I am trying to envision a situation where that would be healthy.

Last edited by alittlelost; May 17th, 2013 at 05:42 PM.