Topic: Meat
View Single Post
May 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
frequent flier
I have been a vegetarian since I was 12, so for about 18 years now. Originally I decided to do it because of the animal rights issue, but now I just keep it up mostly out of habit. I will say that, traveling as much as I do, being a vegetarian has come in very handy -- it's made it easier for me to tactfully reject strange foods that I felt squeamish about eating! I've also gotten food poisoning less often than my DH has while traveling.

One unfortunate side effect is that my kids have also picked up the habit of not eating much meat. I wish that they would eat it more often! I know that sounds strange, but I think that it's really important for them to get that protein intake when they are very young and growing. Both of my kids, since they started solids, have preferred vegetables and sweets to meat (probably because that's what I ate during my pregnancies). My oldest will basically only eat chicken nuggets. He'll eat all kinds of vegetables with no problem, but he won't touch any meat that hasn't been heavily processed. My youngest is a bit more open-minded, but still doesn't get as much protein as I would like him to. They'll both eat nuts and beans, though, so I guess there's that.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)