Shock of My Life
View Single Post
May 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Join Date: Jun 2008
I have been mulling it over how to say what I am about to say. So my mom called me this morning after my in-laws left. She told me that my dad had a CT Scan done this week because he was still having some numbness on the left side of his face. The family doctor had treated him 6-8 wks ago with what we thought was bells palsy. My dad finished the treatment for it and it never got better or went away, instead his symptoms got worse. So they did the CT scan and it showed a small mass in his brain. My parents met with doctor that specializes in radiation and an oncologist. My dad also had an MRI done so they could get a better picture of what is going on. We radiation doctor and oncologist already spoke to each other. They referred my dad to a neurosurgeon and will see him on Tuesday. My parents live in a small town and will most likely seek a second opinion. The oncologist said she could help get them to see some more experienced people with lots of experience in dealing with this. They think what my dad has is called a schwannoma (which are usually benign most of the time). It is pressing on three cranial nerves which is why he has been having so many symptoms: facial palsy, can't feel one side of his tongue, can't feel himself swallow on one side of his neck/throat, and he has lost all hearing in his ear. So the plan would be to either remove it or do radiation. The oncologist really recommended surgery because she feels that is a much better option since my dad is young and healthy. Since my dad's symptoms are just getting worse, they would really like to act more quickly about it.My dad would have to stay at least a night in the ICU post surgery and then several more days on the floor before going home. But he would have to be off work for 3 months!!! Which is scary for my parents because they really rely on both of them to work in order to pay the bills.
So because of all of this we are putting TTC with medical assistance on hold. Of course I already started the d*m* Clomid!!! So I am going to call on Tuesday and cancel this cycle and probably our follow up appt in July. No point in seeing the doctor when we haven't even done the IUI once. I think that since we are going to not do medical assistance right now that I am going to pursue acupuncture like I have wanted to this whole time but DH kept turning me down because he knew the doctor could fix everything and we would get preggo. Well the doctor can only do his job and get us preggo if Mr. Tightwad would part with some of our money to do it. It really hurts me and makes me more depressed thinking about not pursuing any more medical assistance right now. I had such high hopes for this year of getting pregnant and finally giving our son a sibling. It just hurts so bad that that isn't a possibility right now.
The last 2 yrs have been awful, I really had high hopes the 2013 would be better or different and so far, not so much. Wishing it was 2014 already.
So I apologize for not being on here the last couple days. I worked and then had to entertain the in-laws which was so much fun. I will still be your co-host if you will still have me.
Thank you ladies for all your love, encouragement, and support. More than anything I covet your prayers. My parents names are Bruce and Cindy. I promise to keep ya'll in the loop!!!
Last edited by cutenurse24; May 24th, 2013 at
View Public Profile
Find all posts by cutenurse24