View Single Post
May 26th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you do not want to get pregnant you should take emergency contraception ( like Plan B) as soon as possible. It's most effective if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex/birth control failure. It works by delaying ovulation however it will not effect a pregnancy that's already started. You can also see your Dr and have a copper IUD placed as emergency contraception and it works as birth control for up to 10 years. It works best if placed in the first 5 days after unprotected sex.

In the future you need to be responsible and get yourself on a reliable method of birth control. You can get these in most cases from your GP or OB/GYN. You can also get them for low cost/free at your local Planed Parenthood, health department, and/or women's clinic. Ovulation is very hard to predict in even the most healthy woman with regular cycles. If you are using a cell phone app to track your cycles you should know that they only give you an estimated date and not a solid scientific one. Your body could do something completely different. I've personally tracked my ovulation via temping and OPKs and I've NEVER ovulated on the same day in any given month.

You should also be using a condom EVERY time. Not only do they help prevent pregnancy they also protect against most STD/STI's. If you've had unprotected sex you really should be checked for them and then retest in 6 months because some infections take a while to show up.

If you do end up pregnant (you can reliably test in two weeks) you have options available to you. I highly recommend that you see a pregnancy/family planning councilor so that they can go over all of your options with you and give you all the info you need to make the right choices for yourself. Good luck and please feel free to message me if you have any questions. I teach sex ed so there is nothing you can ask that I haven't heard a million times!