View Single Post
May 29th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Final update: I only progressed to a "stretchy 5". They increased it past the recommended dosage after getting the doctor's order. Thank god for the epidural because the internal monitor they placed eventually showed extremely intense contractions and at one point I could feel seriously uncomfortable pressure during those ones. Her head kept moving down, but otherwise we couldn't get things moving. Around 5am they noticed some decels, but we got her happy again til about 6am. Then between the very high dose of pitocin and no progress, the midwife talked to the doctor and they recommended the c-section. I was completely fine with this. I didn't even get upset. I was ready to meet my baby girl and wanted to make sure she got here safe. Luckily, I didn't wait long. They said they wanted to get the ball rolling before it became an emergency situation, but it might be a while. Turns out everyone that was needed was in the building and I barely had time to let my family know. She was born at 7:14am. 7lbs7oz. 20 inches long. The most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Anthony was amazing during labor and he's been loving on her like crazy. We were able to do skin-to skin as soon as they wiped a little blood off of her and it was amazing! I did get some dry heaves and shoulder pain while they stitched me up. We got back to the room and she was nursing like a champ and has done great since. She's so calm right now. I imagine she's exhausted from 48 hours of trying to make it into this world. I'm just happy she's here and healthy and happy.
Update #3: (Thursday) After the dilaudid wore off, I started to feel a couple small contractions, but nothing serious. Midwife came in around 5am and checked me, still no progress. Stuck at 2. She talked to me about doing a cytotec and then breaking my water around noon. So that's what we did. The contractions I had after the cytotec were nothing compared to the ones with prepidil. Luckily I progressed to a 3 by noon and they broke my water. This almost immediately sent me into strong contractions. Good, right? 5 hours of that and I'm only at 4. I took some pain medication because I was exhausted and started shaking so bad I couldn't see straight. We talked options and the next one was the pitocin. I knew I couldn't handle the contractions if I got the pit, so I asked for the epidural. The nurse didn't fully connect the pitocin and no one noticed for 2 hours, but then it got started around 9pm. They've been steadily increasing it since and it's now 1am. I'm still a 4. She stretched me to a 5. Midwife said that we're getting close to the highest dose of pitocin, but the contractions still aren't ideal. So basically we're waiting until the ctx hit the idea strength and we'll see if I progress then. If no progress, then we'll have to talk c-section.
Wish us luck. We need it.
Update #2: Good morning ladies. The midwife checked me last night around 10pm and I was still no change except that the head is fully engaged and my water was bulging. She said we could break my water and see what happens, or they could give me the dilaudid and benadryl. I had cried through the last few contractions because I was hooked up to the monitors and couldn't move and they were just so intense. I decided to go ahead and get the shot and sleep. It was AWESOME. I still feel groggy, but I know I got at least 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep, plus a couple more of off and on, but I stayed in bed the whole time and I feel 100% better. I feel like maybe I really CAN do this without the epidural now. I knew that if they broke my water last night I would have been too exhausted from lack of sleep and the crazy weird contractions from the prepidil that I would have needed the epidural for sure. They are going to break my water this morning probably around 5 or 6am. I hope it goes well, because I haven't felt any contractions since I got up about 20 minutes ago. But that could still be the dilaudid since I still feel pretty high. Haha.
Update:Had to have another round of prepadil gel around 5:30pm because my contractions slowed down. You have to stay in bed 90 minutes after it's administered...it was hell both times. I'm only 2cm, still only 70% and baby hasn't moved from -2 station. Contractions are regular for a while, then sporadic. I'm going to get dilaudid and benadryl to get some sleep tonight I hope and start fresh in the morning. I'm almost dozing off between contractions and probably would if my back wasn't killing me. So..options right now are: a third round of prepadil at 11pm (NOT happening), start pitocin at 11PM (in this case, I'll probably get an epidural. I'm exhausted and I don't think I can handle anything stronger that what I'm already having right now), or the dilaudid and benadryl shot to get some rest. Really hoping to get some rest and have a baby early tomorrow. We'll see though. Thanks for all the ELV's!!
Just figured I'd update while I can. Induction with Prepadil gel was started about 7:30am. Severe cramps followed. Having tons of cramps now, especially in my back, but it doesn't look like real contractions. I don't know if I can handle the pain all day. I'm exhausted already from only getting 4 hours of sleep. Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated when I can.
Last edited by eshute; May 31st, 2013 at
. Reason: Update.
View Public Profile
Find all posts by eshute