View Single Post
June 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Julie
Hi Jessica! Congrats on your pregnancy. I'm in the October DDC and I've had both epidural births and a natural birth. I am in no way an expert, but I can tell you what worked for me: get apsomeone you trust and feel comfortable with to be there for you during labor. If your hubby or SO isn't so great in this situation, maybe consider a sister or friend or even hire a doula. If your hubby is helpful, great! Let your birth assistant know what they can do to help you. back rubs, counter pressure on your back, not touching you, etc. I had a specific pattern of breathing I followed according to how intense the contractions were. This is important because with my first, I was so surprised by the pain that I didn't know how to control my breathing so I was going crazy and my respiratory rate went up to 200-not good. If you take a childbirth class they will teach you how to breath correctly. I brought my iPod and listened to music during contractions-for me what worked was music that made me feel good, and also some music that gave me a feeling of power and strength. this is of course going to be different for everyone, so maybe relaxing music might work for you, or no music at all. Familiarize yourself with the stages of labor: latent, active, and transition. Transition is usually when you get to 7 cm. Many women report feeling like they can't do it anymore, so maybe being aware of this will help you know it's normal and you can get through it. Baths or showers help many women feel morecomfortable during contractions. For me the last 20 minutes out of a total of 10 hours was the most intense and hardest. Sorry for the long response, just wanted to give you some info that might be helpful, I wish you the best of luck, but remember there is no shame in getting the epidural if you feel you really need it at a certain point!