Topic: Vent thread
View Single Post
June 6th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Padawan Kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Are you sure the steroid cream was used to treat bacterial infection? I think the oral medication was most likely the antibiotic which actually treated the mastitis...now they may have given you the steroid cream in case you also had thrush...I'm pretty sure an anti-inflammatory steroid cream would be used to treat a fungal infection.
Yeah, the oral medication they gave me was definitely for the mastitis. I remember my left nipple being in a lot of pain at the time with broken skin, but they didn't tell me what was wrong with it, just gave me that cream. I had just assumed it was from a poor latch, but later realized that was fine. I was looking at mostly Japanese sites and using the online translator that just came with my browser, so it's possible the translations were wrong and it actually is for fungal infections, but it seems like my husband also said bacterial when I asked him to quickly translate what the tube said before I looked it up online, so I'm not sure...

I decided to look it up again and a website that lists things it's prescribed for does say it's an anti-bacterial and also says one possible side effect is fungal infection, including thrush...so now I'm a little confused. This site says it's used to treat skin infections, such as pyoderma, dermatitis, and eczema. Another site also states that it's anti-bacterial and that it's not "in principal" used to treat fungal infections. Those are words from the translation. It looks like it's usually used for eczema.