Topic: Discipline
View Single Post
June 9th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Super Mommy
Whew...great question. Zeb has really been testing limits lately! His biggest thing is to hit (only me!) when he doesn't get his way. Timeout has not been working for this, so instead I just completely ignore him and remove myself from the situation. He is only doing it to get a rise out of me, so this technique has worked for us. We do have timeout, but lately he won't stay in and it becomes a 30 minute ordeal -- which is fine when its a non-negotiable offense.

I also try to give him as much power as possible because he is really wanting independence. So, for instance, when he has something I don't want him to have...I will say "Would you like to put it on the counter or do you need mama to take it from you?" Usually he feels like he has a choice and will choose to put it on the counter.

I also ask myself, is this something I really need to be done my way? If not, I let it go. For instance, he was fighting getting dressed in the morning, but then I realized that it didn't matter if he got dressed before or after breakfast...so I just let it go. Sure enough, after breakfast he wants to go outside and will let me dress him.

I won't lie...he gives me a run for my money most days!