View Single Post
June 16th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tantrums are usually a childs final straw. When they are so small it is hard for them to communicate their needs and once the tantrum starts they can get so worked up they couldnt even tell you why they are upset even if they had the vocabulary to do so.
The best way to avoid tantrums is to be able to respond to their needs before they get to that 'last straw'.
Routine really helps very young ones;
Often small children are just brought along-with no idea what will happen next.It really helps if they know what is going to happen next. communicate even if you think they are too young to understand. I think the biggest trigger for tantrums in young ones is over tiredness, the hunger grumps, overstimulation.
Frustration in not being able to communicate clearly to adults is super frustrating. Imagine being in a foreign country and only knowing a few words of their language and trying to get by....it would be very challenging for even an adult not to get frustrated with such a situation.
there might have been something really fascinating in that other direction she just was not able to communicate to you. maybe she thought she saw her grandpa that way and you were pulling her away and she just was distraught over not understanding.

When you understand the source of the tantrum it's much easier to know how to respond. sometimes you just don't know the reason but kindness is always the right response.
I don't believe in ignoring tantrums, children need their parents attention-even if they have to scream to finally get the parent to finally pay attention.
I don't think responding to a child who is screaming for attention will teach him to scream-I think that WAITING to respond to a child teaches him to have to scream, kick and act out to finally achieve the help he needs from his parent teaches him to go straight to a meltdown instead of trying to communicate first.
if a child feels confident that 'mom will pay attention when I tug on her purse or point over there' they won't collapse and wail on the floor instead.
My daughter responds best to physical touch and calming words. I hug and speak softly to her.
My son reacts best to multiple options " I understand you're upset we can't do 'this' but instead you can do 'this' or 'this' " Giving him options almost always solves the problem.
You get to know what works, and often its a process of elimination.
In public its hard to not feel all eyes on you and your crying little one-
but DONT focus on what other people think! Focus on your LO.( Obviously sometimes, like church/hospital etc or something, you have to relocate to be considerate of others.)