View Single Post
September 9th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
We have used FIAR for the last two weeks and have read A Story About Ping and Madeline. Next week we'll do The Rag Coat.
There's not really any good, core math involved with FIAR, as far as I can tell. I think that for a good base in math concepts you'll need some sort of book (all inclusive curriculum book from Sam's or Costco) or an actual curriculum. I've heard good things about both Saxon and Abeka, and I've used Horizons, which seemed a little advanced toward the second half.

I've found that FIAR is great for social studies/history type activities. We learned about the Yangze River and junk boats and The Great Wall with Ping and we talked about compassion and the Eiffel tower with Madeline, as well as poetry. With Ping we did a little science activity where we talked about buoyancy. But as far as I can tell, it's not so inclusive that one would be able to teach their child to read or write all their letters or many other basic skills like that simply by following FIAR. I've found it to be a great supplement to the other things that we do for math, reading, and writing, but I couldn't use it exclusively as my curriculum.

There's a FIAR forum out there. I don't have the address, but I think you could find it by googling "FIAR". They may have more extensive ideas than I do!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!