Topic: Reflux?
View Single Post
June 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hiya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Thanks for the input.
Ashlee, that kind of worries me that you said the meds didn't help Kieran much. I'm worried I just have another high-maintenance kid. Ethan, he wouldn't have been high-maintenance, I don't think, if I hadn't have been so gung-ho about EBF that I was unwilling to think it was my milk that was the problem. This time, I'm willing to do whatever works best, be it formula or what have you.

It's hard to tell with Kody, but he does urp up in his throat a lot, and swallows it back down. He rarely actually spits up. He gets the hiccups a lot though. He cries and arches his back at feeding time, just laying him down on my lap and taking the boob out, he will start to cry when he was just fine before (although hungry). He cries harder the more I try to put the nipple in his mouth. Many times I'll have to bounce him up and down on my lap while I'm trying to get him to latch on, in order for him to take it. But then he will surprise me and sometimes feed just fine and so peacefully I'll think I must be imagining things. If he was just hard-and-fast one way, as far as the fussiness, I think it would be easier to say for sure I think he has reflux, but I just don't know.
Today he was cranky/fussy all day and not sleeping well, then after I gave him a dose of Colic Calm he has been sleeping for an hour and a half. Makes me think it must have been something with his tummy or digestive system.
That sounds like silent reflux. I second Axid...it worked wonders for Liam. Just because my second was high matenience, doesn't mean yours is!! He might legitimately have an issue. I would absolutely trial some medication. If it doesn't work, you know he is just needy (and can stock the house with alcohol! Lol. I am kidding!!). But it could make your life much, much easier. Also, you can trial belly-sleeping during the day for a couple days. It was also a sign of reflux. My doc told me reflux babies often hate to be on their back, and some even hate to be slightly reclined. But if he sleeps well on your chest and when you put him in his belly (supervised! Please don't think I am advocating it in any way...but it is a diagnostic tool), chances are his discomfort is from acid washing into his throat. Liam was a fine belly sleeper, but his back was just plain not going to happen.