Topic: Last name?
View Single Post
June 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy-of-one View Post
If I could re-do anything about the birth of my DD, it would be giving her my SO (at the time)'s last name...
I know every situation is different, I swore over and over that nothing would ever split us up, yada yada yada... So, I gave her his last name. We split a few months after she was born... I have spent the last 6 years being called by his last name when picking her up at school, going to her dr, phone calls from ins and school and coaches/leaders... It reminds me every day that I made a mistake. (edited to add-not made a mistake having her, but the mistake was using HIS last name...) And now, we are spending way too much money on lawyers to try to over-ride the barely there bio-dads rights and change her last name...

Just think long and hard, make up your mind BEFORE you get to the hospital and stick with it... Please... I swore I was going to give her my last name, then she was born and i was emotional and we decided we were in love and she was getting his last name (barf!!)
I can see why you'd want to change it. This is why I was VERY adamant that my children would have my last name. I guess it also helped since their father wasn't even present for the pregnancies or the births. I'm the only one on their birth certificates. Unfortunately, I'm going through a child support hearing/case as we speak and it could lead to the father being put on the birth certificate. I certainly hope not.

Maybe the father's last name could be the middle/first part of the last name? I don't know.. I guess I have plenty of time to really, really think about it all.