View Single Post
June 18th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That farthest I think it should go is for hospitals to not be allowed to send you home with formula for free and I also don't think that formula companies should be allowed to send samples (FTMs...you just wait! You'll get a LOT) in the mail without being ASKED by the mother.

Imagine this scenario: you're a BF mom. You are about 2 weeks into BFing. You have barely slept. Your nipples are hurting like a mofo. It's 2am and you're watching infomercials with a screaming baby when you remember that canister of formula in the kitchen that was given to you for free. You think, "just this once..." But then that nursing session is lost, it happens a few more times and before you know it, your supply is affected, you have more trouble and you say screw it and quit.

I've been there and I thankfully powered through. I remember that night like it was yesterday.

Now, I have to say that I work and have a very regimented schedule which means I can pump twice a day at predetermined times. My boobs like baby. And they like 2 hour increments or less, so by 8 months, the pumping was not producing enough to keep up with what DS needed while I was gone. Of course, I did continue to BF anytime I was home (or with him in public for that matter) but we did have to use some formula by that age. I BFd him for 13 months and he self weaned.

It's not bottles that are bad. It's the marketing and pushing of formula that undermines women's efforts to persevere at BFing. It tugs at heart strings, guilts moms into thinking their babies are still hungry and preys on their tired, sore bodies. At least that is MY opinion.