View Single Post
June 20th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
I had a VBAC in March. and I felt the same way. I really didn't want a repeat c/s but at the same time I felt like my body failed me once so odds are it was going to fail me again. At the same time I wanted the "normal" birth experience. i wanted the baby to go to my chest. i wanted my husband to truly cut the cord not cut it after the fact. I wanted to hold him for as long as I wanted. (I only got to hold my dd for 2 minutes.)
My ob office gave me a 50/50 shot. But supported whatever decision i made. Eventhough some of the docs (my practice has 4) didn't have much hope for me bc my DD was 9lbs 12 oz and I was a failure to progress at 41 weeks. I tried to be as realistic about it as I could. I knew they couldn't induce me. So I decided to give my body the best chance at going on its own but really didn't want another big baby. I scheduled my c/s for 2 days after my due date. (I probably would've schedule for my due date but it was on a sat). 1 of my drs agreed to strip my membranes at 39 weeks and I was only 2cm. I made it to my c/s date. I was contracting all night but wasn't really uncomfortable. They hooked me up to the monitors as they were prepping for my c/s. I even commented on contracting and the nurse ignored me so I didn't even say anything to my dr. Figured it was too late so I would just go with it. But I truly had the best dr. She looked at the monitor and said to me "you are really contracting" I was like yeah I know . Asked me if I wanted to VbAC still. I actually said I didn't know. She offered to check me and my husband said yes. He knew I really wanted it. I was 4cm. I still was unsure about trying but my dr really thought i should. That was at 8:45am. My c/s was scheduled for 9am. She said she could break my water but no pit. She broke my water at 11am. (I was gbs + so needed antibiotics first) had my epidural at 12 started pushing at 12:30 and brady was born at 1:27pm weighing 9lbs 14oz! It was the best feeling in the world! I did end up with a vaginal hematoma that had to be ruptured in the dr. The pain was a thousand times worse than labor and delivery. My dr said they only see 1 or 2 a year and they thought it was bc he was so big and came down so fast. Even with that i would do it again in a heart beat!! Recovery was a breeze! I was out shopping when he was less than a week old.
I think as long as you are realistic about it you should go for it! I don't think you will regret it even if you end up with a repeat c/s. good luck!!
Sarah (30) married to Jon (30)
DD - Kaitlin 8/15/2009 ( our Follistim miracle)
DS - Brady 3/4/2013 ( our menopur miracle thanks to the AMIGOS study)
And now we feel like our family is complete!
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Sarah S.