View Single Post
June 20th, 2013, 10:39 AM
My kid is a few years out of teenage years.

He/she used to be very opinionated and outspoken. Luckily, though, his/her opinions are more nuanced and balanced nowadays.

However, as a teenager, he/she made several posts (without my prior knowledge or approval) to the Internet--articles, book reviews, comments, etc. To me, many of the posts seem are poorly written and inflammatory; S/D now realizes this. There were about a dozen or so posts.

My kid is now a young adult who will soon finish his/her post-secondary education and look for work. S/D worries that the Web postings could affect his/her employment prospects.

We were able to call some of the webmasters and get roughly 20% of the content removed. The remaining sites have no phone numbers (and sometimes no email) listed.

For the ones with emails, how would you phrase the email message to the webmasters. Since the ball is in the webmaster's court, I advised my son/daughter to be polite, state that it was a youthful indiscretion and that he was a minor, kindly request a removal, and thank the webmaster for the consideration. Is there anything else that you would advise my kid to say?

For the ones without emails or any other contact information, how should we proceed?

Also, what if the webmaster(s) either doesn't respond or outright refuses? What can we do then?

Should we offer to purchase the content or even buy the domain name? Or should we persist? My child's best friend jokingly suggested hacking into the site, but I oppose that.

There is positive content (scholarships, volunteer projects, achievements, etc) about my son/daughter on the Web. I just worry what effect everything else would have on him/her.