Topic: Work Vs. TTC
View Single Post
June 24th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I connect with this so much!!! We will be having three pregnant teachers in our district this coming year -- and NONE of the maternity leaves will line up ideally with any breaks.

In fact, mine will fall smack dab in the middle of our speech season. Something that is going to really effect what our team does this year...

Sure, we could have waited until August to try... then we would have lined up with summer better. But ya know what??? It really doesn't matter. Your students won't be scarred forever if you get knocked up and miss school to spend time with your precious new baby. I can tell you're a great teacher (because you're putting so much thought into this), which means you'll leave great sub plans and do everything you can to make sure learning goes uninterrupted while your gone.

I've subbed for a few maternity leaves. Here are some recommendations I have from the sub side of things: 1) set things out week by week, 2) find a sub that you really feel comfortable with, 3) have them come spend a day or so with you prior to you leaving. That way they get a feel for your class schedule, the atmosphere you have in your room, and a rough idea for what you're doing in the curriculum. 4) be willing to take phone calls/emails to help them out.

One teacher I subbed for was so worried that she didn't do enough to prepare me and was worried that her kiddos would be horrific. She emailed me every day the first week I was there, and after that, she realized that things were ok.

It would totally be a bonus if you got a student teacher. And as for your course load and bringing it up with your superiors... I'd totally leave out the TTC. They shouldn't change anything for you until you know when you'll need your maternity leave.

That's just my two-cents. Let me know if there's anything I can clarify/help with. I'll have my fingers crossed that you either get your BFP after your anniversary (SUPER CUTE!!!) or that your BFP waits a few months so that you won't have to worry about getting a long-term sub! I'll make sure to check in and see how things are going for you!