View Single Post
July 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I'm back.

So anyway, my daughter had an open would and contracted MRSA from a hospital. She was treated with Bactrim and it has been a non-issue ever since...I would think that if your sister is healthy otherwise, she would probably have the same outcome. If she's not responding to the Bactrim, they will be able to tell, and there are other drugs to take care of this. MRSA is scary because there are limited antibiotics to treat it, but it's actually no more virulent than other types of staph infections. There are way worse places to have it than where your sister does - because it's in her wound (and not somewhere like her lungs), it's fairly easy to prevent it from spreading to others.

Avoiding direct contact is the way to go, and since she's being treated, I'm sure her wound is properly dressed which would minimize the potential for anyone to come in contact with the bacteria. If you're going to her house, I'd suggest no direct contact, then thoroughly washing your hands after you leave. If you have any open wounds (even small ones like hang nails or paper cuts), make sure they're covered. Since she was in your house before anyone knew what was going on, I'd err on the side of caution and disinfect whatever she may have been in contact with (door knobs, phone ect)...This may seem like overkill, but being pregnant, I'd do this.

I also wanted to mention that I worked with plenty of people who were infected over the years, including one patient who had it in his lungs and was breathing on me before they ever figured out he had it, and I'm perfectly fine. I'm not an infectious disease expert or anything, but if you have any other questions or concerns, I'd be glad to try to answer them for you.

Good luck!