View Single Post
July 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, you might be surprised at all the opportunity now.. For me, I have a bachelors degree and couldn't afford my masters yet.. The job market is horrible so since I had no non-retail experience, I got a seasonal job at best buy. I found out I was pregnant after an incident that happened once so I don't have support from the baby's other genetic half. So, December 4th (when I found out) I spent the whole day crying feeling doomed to retail struggling to give this child a good life. Well, I did what I had to do.. Got state pregnancy medical, got prenatal care and started baby shopping.

About half way through my pregnancy I struggled with dehydration and low blood pressure so I was getting dizzy at work and still expected to run around like crazy, climb ladders, and go the whole shift usually not even allowed to have the state mandated breaks. At that point I put in my notice and left at about 25weeks pregnant and I had already bought the baby necessities. I was so stressed out but things actually turned around with leaving. I sucked up my pride and asked the state for food and cash benefits. They ended up giving me $200/month food and $300/month cash.. It's not enough to really live but definitely can get by. They also have housing programs as needed. Well, with the cash program, (at least here) they'll insist you try to look for work or do some job training or school but you're exempt third trimester and baby's first year. For me, there is no way I can think of not getting right back on my feet.

I feel like its a great opportunity for me to let the state pay for some education that will help me into a better job since my degree did nothing for me. They also will help finding jobs and with childcare. Also, I didn't sign up until I was 7months pregnant.. But WIC is also available while pregnant for food.. All that together can really be a life saver when everything looks kind of tough.. By the end of the pregnancy you'll have a new outlook on everything. I do. my little man will be here within the next 20 days. Things will be alright and if you have any questions or want to talk more you can always private message me. I hope my story helps you see some light at the end of the tunnel.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!