View Single Post
July 15th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
1. The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. You may get an inkling of how much this book means to me by the fact that my second son's name is Bryce I first read this book in high school and it really resonated with me and I have read it every few years ever since. When I was teaching, I had my students read it as well and many of them had a similar reaction It was difficult to get college freshman interested in anything but this book was a hit with every class

2) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I think the morality and ethical dilemmas explored in this novel as well as Raskolnikov's theories on the "worth" of one set of people over others along with his transformation are good conversations for anyone to have.

3) The Awakening by Kate Chopin. The struggles of Edna Pontellier to find her "self" and her place in a world she doesn't fit in are a good starting point for some serious discussions about where we, as women, came from, where we are, and where the world needs to go. I think in light of recent legislation here in the US, Edna's struggles are even more relevant than they were a few years ago.