Topic: nut free
View Single Post
July 18th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry ladies, I'm lurking (that's what happens when you are wide awake at 4am I guess lol)

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here because I've been on both sides of the spectrum.
My kids' school has a no-nut rule and it really bothered me until this past year. My step son is a ridiculously picky eater and went through a period where he literally wanted nothing to eat at school except for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I have to be honest and say I was pretty upset that this put ME in a bind to figure out what to feed him.

And then a few months ago my youngest (4) developed a nut allergy.

Now I'm one of those moms that has to read everything my son wants to eat. I have to ask at every restaurant whether or not there are peanuts or tree nuts in every meal he wants. I have to carry an Epi pen with me 24/7 just incase he accidentally gets a hold of something with nuts in it and stops breathing.

I don't agree that public areas should be peanut/nut free because that's a little drastic, and families dealing with this allergy will typically know which food places to avoid in the first place.
I am, however, very grateful that our local schools are so diligent in preventing severe reactions. Nut allergies are also most common in school aged children, which is why it makes total sense that schools are where they are making a more strict environment. I don't think it's fair to say children with an allergy like this should be homeschooled- my son has the same right to experience what a child without an allergy does.
I also don't agree that this should be compared to other things like diabetes. A nut allergy can be fatal within minutes of exposure. If a child with diabetes eats what they aren't supposed to, chances are they will be fine but not feel well for awhile. They also take medication to prevent issues, whereas children with nut allergies cannot prevent (other than avoidance), but only treat when it happens.

A small inconvenience for your child can literally be the difference between life and death for mine.

I do hope you never have to experience the fear of having a child with such a serious life threatening allergy in order to understand this all. Us parents of kids with allergies DO appreciate when the community is helping to look out for our children --- as you would be if it were your child.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*