View Single Post
July 26th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran
Like others have said it takes roughly two hours to leave your system. I have done a lot of research on this because I drink a Guinness almost everyday, as suggested by my midwife, to help with milk production. (on a side note I know that theory in controversial but I have found that it really works there is a HUGE difference from when I do and when I do not drink it) The alcohol both enters and leaves your milk at the same rate as it does your bloodstream. There is no need to pump and dump if you just wait the two hours. Because it effects your milk the same as the bloodstream it also depends on your weight. The more you weigh the less time it will take to exit your system. A lot of people use the guideline that if you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to nurse. Also, only about 2% of the alcohol you drink enters your milk. It's not like if you have a shot then your milk will be 80 proof. The danger is that their livers are so immature that even a small amount of alcohol is hard for them to process.

Here is a website that I found really helpful...

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/

Last edited by mommaerin; July 26th, 2013 at 06:08 AM.