View Single Post
July 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Regular
Hi all, Im new to this forum, but so far am really enjoying it. Its nice to have others to bounce things off of and to be understood Thank you so much in advance for any and all input.
Our family dilemma all started three weeks ago. A 63 year old family member, who is in a less than healthy lifestyle(drug addiction), came to us and told us that he has a infant girl(born addicted to three different drugs) just born in June. The mother is currently in a 42 day detox center via CPS, and if she makes it through will get her children back. There is also a 6 year old and a 2 year old. The social worker has told us that if she relapses, or doesn't stay clean, she loses custody of the baby, as she had previously signed an adoption agreement right after the baby was born, but then changed her mind. After much soul searching our family has decided that we would like to adopt her! It felt like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders now that I am at peace with our decision. All we were thinking of was how to help her, and how to provide the best life possible for her. It was never a question of love, we always have more than enough of that here. Just house arrangements, and finances. We were already in the process of a home addition, so all the rest fell into place and now we are excited to welcome her into our family!! My problem now is the entourage of discouragement I have been receiving from family and even my closest friends. They keep reminding me for some strange reason(like we forgot), that we already have 4 children, that there are already tonnes of people out there that are waiting to adopt...and that this wasn't our "mistake" to fix. I even had my closest friend tell me that I was selfish, and wasn't making a good decision for the baby, and that if I was really thinking of the baby I would let it be adopted by a family that "needs" it. I feel so horrible now, sad and alone!! Please offer me some advice on how to deal with this, I sincerely do not know what to say or how to handle this I just wish that someone would support me, and understand my decision, or at the very least accept it.... Am I seriously being selfish in this? I really don't want to lay awake every night for the rest of my life wondering what is happening to her, or if she is being treated well or is loved