View Single Post
July 31st, 2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
im just lurking around JM and saw this post - my daughter was in the NICU getting fed through tube, then after she got the tube out, a bottle...i was pumping night and day and still not keeping up with her demands, so they were having to supplement with formula. As soon as i was able to take her home, though, we ditched the bottles...and exclusively breastfed. She was hungry for a while & slept very little, but soon enough, my supply upped and she started getting satisfied for longer and sleeping for longer periods. I returned to work at 8 weeks PP, and pumped 2-3 times a day until she was a year old, and continued nursing her until she was 18 months.

i say all of that to say - YES. pumping is extremely time consuming, and for me, not as efficient as my baby was. In MY experience, its easier to BF (after the first couple weeks, of course, because in the beginning, you're in pain and just plain tired) & i found pumping extremely stressful. I wasnt able to keep up, and everyday i was at work, i would stress about pumping enough that day, to use for daycare the next day. To say the least, it was a huge relief when she started eating solids at 6 months.

i would encourage you, also, to at least TRY to nurse. Even if just for the first month to really build your supply and get past the initial "painful/tired/hormonal/am i making enough??" stage. Once you get past that, it's smooth sailing. I too felt "ick" about nursing, but once i started and got past the hump....i loved it & i miss it.

if i couldnt nurse for whatever reason, i would definitely pump. And you know, you may not make enough...who knows...but even if you're supplementing with formula some, your baby is still getting some pretty good stuff in the breastmilk that you are able to give her! good luck!