View Single Post
July 31st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
YES. pumping is extremely time consuming, and for me, not as efficient as my baby was. In MY experience, its easier to BF (after the first couple weeks, of course, because in the beginning, you're in pain and just plain tired) & i found pumping extremely stressful. I wasnt able to keep up, and everyday i was at work, i would stress about pumping enough that day, to use for daycare the next day. To say the least, it was a huge relief when she started eating solids at 6 months.

if i couldnt nurse for whatever reason, i would definitely pump. And you know, you may not make enough...who knows...but even if you're supplementing with formula some, your baby is still getting some pretty good stuff in the breastmilk that you are able to give her! good luck!
Totally agree with all of that. I have done some of both (breastfeeding and pumping) with each of my daughters. I would MUCH prefer breastfeeding, and if I didn't have to work, I wouldn't pump much at all. Initially it can be challenging, but you get to a point where it really is much easier than pumping. One thing about pumping (and bottle feeding in general) is the washing of all the parts, bottles, nipples, etc. It nearly drove me crazy last time. Also, it takes me forever to let down with a pump (seriously, it sometimes takes me a full 20 minutes or more just to get a let down). I actually find hand-expressing to be faster and more efficient than a pump, but that's because I can get a let down much faster that way.

As for whether pumping is comfortable...in the beginning, no. It was painful, awkward, and to be honest, it kind of weirded me out, much more than nursing. Eventually, after doing it so much, it wasn't painful or awkward anymore, but it still never felt as comfortable as breastfeeding. With #2, she was in the NICU at first, and I wasn't able to start breastfeeding right away, so I pumped in the hospital until she could feed by mouth. It wasn't as awkward the second time around, but I was still sore in the beginning. If you're going to exclusively pump, I would definitely recommend getting a hands-free pumping bra--very helpful!

Ultimately, I think the best thing to do would be to at least try and see how it goes. What's the harm, right? Any amount of breast milk will be beneficial for your baby, so it's worth a try!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Last edited by ThaiSpice; July 31st, 2013 at 11:31 AM.