View Single Post
July 31st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm sure you've all heard/read the recommendation to add 500 calories for breastfeeding. I'm exclusively pumping because John never would nurse (little bugger). I've been getting in the neighborhood of 31 to 35 oz total per day. According to KellyMom the composition of breastmilk changes throughout the day (and based on mom's diet) but on average breastmilk is 22 calories per oz. So, simple math, I'm putting something like 682 to 770 calories into his bottles daily. I'm thinking some calories are used by my body in the actual process of making the milk, but have no idea how many.

My supply is decent (thank goodness) but I don't think more than average. So, I'm thinking 500 calories per day doesn't quite cover the actual energy expenditure of a nursing mother. I wonder where the figure came from. Not sure what my point is... just rambling I suppose.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!