Topic: Natural Birth
View Single Post
August 4th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've pretty much had the full range. I should add that none of my labors have ever progressed without the help of pitocin, though. My first was an induction because she was late, and it was my shortest labor. I had Nubain in the IV, and I don't recommend that to anyone. It made me feel loopy and totally out of control. It also wore off very quickly. No epidural. They had to use the vacuum because her heart rate dropped every time I pushed. Recovery was rough, but they did an episiotomy, resulting in a tear from front to back. Ouch!!

My water broke on its own with my 2nd (late). Labor was longer, but once they started the piton, I went from 4-delivery in an hour. My husband finally had me talked into the epidural, but it was too late so no epidural that time, either. Only a few pushes with her. Very quick recovery and no tearing.

My water broke on its own with my 3rd also (late). Labor was even longer than the 2nd. They started the pitocin at a much slower rate after seeing what happened with the 2nd. I opted for the epidural, now knowing fully what pitocin-induced labor was like! My husband said it was great because he had "me" in the room. I think it was only 2 pushes, no tearing, and an even quicker recovery. I had absolutely no feeling at all, and it was great!! The only "downside" was that the epidural worked too well, and I still had no feeling in my legs 9 hours later - until they threatened me with a catheter.

My 4th was induced because of my blood pressure (early). Because they thought they were going to have to do a version, etc., I got the epidural before labor started to avoid multiple needles. This labor was my longest one. The epidural wore off about 6 hours before she was born. The anesthesiologist came up a couple of times to increase the dose and re-administer, but it never worked. I literally don't remember the last 3 hours of labor, with the exception of the nurse getting in my face one time and telling me that it was "time to re-focus and deliver this baby." The pain was amazingly intense and put me into "another world"! I don't know how to describe it, but I was not in that room. Hubby says I pushed about 45 minutes, which is not normal for me. I had a small tear, and a terrible recovery, probably my worst recovery as well. We swore no more after her. Well....

My water broke on its own with my 5th. I did have an epidural, but I think they purposely didn't check me before administering it because I'm pretty sure I was already fully dilated. Once I pass 4 cm, I go very quickly. Anyhow, no pain, but I could feel some pressure and knew when I needed to push. I tore again, but this recovery was very, very quick.

So, what this tells you is that there is no rhyme or reason...