View Single Post
August 8th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Veteran
My son is 4 and will be starting JK in a little over a month. We've been trying for at least 6 months to get him potty-trained, and it's still very hit and miss. He's nowhere near reliable in big boy underwear, and whenever we ask him if he needs to go sit on the potty, his answer, before we're even done asking is "no go sit potty". I'm also 7 1/2 months pregnant with a little girl, and my energy levels are pretty much at 0 or even -1 these days. Let's just say that potty-training is becoming a chore for everyone. Both my husband and I work from home, but my husband has a retail store, and can't really take care of Ben or help with PT. I'm getting really concerned that Ben won't be allowed to go to school (something he's looking forward to) if he's not trained, and with a new baby due the month after he starts, I'm going to have even LESS time to work on it with him. We're also on our own, because my parents live in another province, and my husband's family works long hours and can't babysit except on the weekend, if at all. My husband also doesn't like the idea of daycare, mostly because of the cost, and he believes that "that's where kids pick up bad habits like pinching, biting, yelling, etc..."

He's also been diagnosed with a mild speech and developmental delay. Could this be in part responsible for our struggles on the potty? Our current training method is to put him on, and give him "special treats" (Reeses Pieces) if he has a successful visit... even if his diaper or underwear are dry, he gets one.

Help!!