View Single Post
August 9th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think your doctor probably didn't make a mistake. What you said makes sense if you realize this weird phenomenon: If your blood sugar spikes enough after you eat a meal (e.g. the macaroni salad, etc meal), your body will try to slam it with insulin (but a little late since it already spiked) and then you will actually see a low number by the time you test your BS with your meter. Hence the 78. That exact thing has happened to me before and I was puzzled until I realized what was happening.

My Endocrynologist recommends I take my sugar 1 hour after I finish eating. I suspect if you would have taken it an hour sooner you would have seen the high number before it dropped like a rock. Lows are even more dangerous for you in the short-term than high blood sugar is, so that's why you need to follow the diet. You may need to eat LESS carbs than your dietician recommended to you in order to not have spikes and lows by the time you take your sugar with your meter. You really have to fiddle with your diet and possibly ask about taking your sugar sooner to see what's going on (or just take it at 1 hr in addition to the 2 hrs).

And, like the PP said, your fasting bs is a good indicator because it's not affected by food as much as your postprandials are. If it's over 100 you definitely have GD. My Endo wants it to be below 90.

Again, on the low bs, one of the lowest lows I've ever had was a 54 when I suddenly started feeling really sick to my stomach and super tired. I was probably minutes away from passing out when I realized it was only 54. BUT I ate a meal from McDonald's with french fries & juice!! (This was when I didn't think I had diabetes.) So how did I have such a super low low? Because my bs spiked, my body slammed it with insulin, plus I had been pushing my kids around the merry go round, and there you have it. My endo said that is called "reactive hypoglycemia." When you have diabetes your body loses the ability to intricately adjust your insulin needs, which causes highs AND lows.

Take care of yourself! You don't have long to go and it's frustrating, but try to get it under control so your baby has no blood sugar problems after birth.

[/url]