View Single Post
August 10th, 2013, 02:01 PM
TTC #1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deductiveparent View Post
One thing I am thinking a lot about lately is how to be intentional about baby sleep. It seems like a lot of people don't think about helping their LO sleep on their own until they are in the midst of a family sleep crisis. Starting too late is definitely a key factor in having lots of sleep battles. I don't know how I'll do it yet, but I hope to gently encourage good sleep habits from day one. And luckily now is when I have plenty of time to read the research about baby sleep. Like how even exposing them to natural light early in the day/afternoon can help reset the day/night flip that is common with newborns. Who knew?
I just actually read a very interesting book called Bringing Up Bebe, about parenting in middle-class France. She talks about how babies "do their nights" by 12 weeks because of parents learning the difference between a baby learning how to shift through sleep cycles and a baby who truly needs attention. They start this from day one of bringing their baby home, and do that they call "the Pause" where you stop and listen before going into the baby's room, in case the noise you are hearing is just a cycle shift and does not need attention.