Topic: Doula
View Single Post
August 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I almost had a doula, hah. I was all set up to have my DH's cousin be my doula, she is certified and all that. But she got some sort of viral throat infection a couple days before I went into labor. She offered to have another lady from her doula friends come and do it, but I just didn't feel like I wanted someone I didn't know at all to be there with me.
Turned out just fine without a doula, I went into the hospital to get labor started and was already a 6 when they broke my water. Contractions didn't really get bad until I was at a 9 1/2 and got out of the water to go to the bed.
I did really appreciate having her as a doula for the fact that I called her a lot when I had questions or just needed to vent about being frustrated that labor wasn't starting and I was overdue. She was a fantastic calming person and helped me feel better every time. I think she would have been great in the labor room if I had needed her or if she was available.

Personally I think it's a good idea.
At the least, I would look into having a water birth, laboring in water really helped and I would think birthing in water would be good too. I didn't have that option but I wanted to do it.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12