View Single Post
August 27th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She's right!! You are her mommy, and not her teacher. And you are a family, not a school. And she will learn more from you than from anyone else on the face of the planet. They are watching everything we do all the time! Mine are 7, 5, and 3. You don't even need a K curriculum. Just living will teach them seasons and weather and counting. Reading and writing can be equally gentle, but might need more formal time. But for pretty much everything else they'll learn in Pre-K or K, just talk to them, a lot. What firemen do, what different people in stores do, how the mail gets to the house, on and on and on. If they ask, answer and don't oversimplify. They'll retain what they need to.

You might really enjoy the approaches of unschooling or relaxed schooling. My basic philosophy about homeschool is that we are teaching them how to learn, not what they "need" to know. And in my personal opinion, children can do wonders at a young age simply knowing how to read, write, and calculate. Formal subject can come mid-grade school. They need to play and explore and learn about their world when they're young. And with mine, also learn about chores and such.

I'm in GA, though, and we don't have very strict laws. We don't even have to report attendance anymore! Just a Declaration of Intent each year. I don't buy any packaged curriculum. I started of[f] with a handwriting chart, a ream of writing paper, and a phonics book for K for my oldest. We happened to be in the middle of a period of unemployment at that time and had very little money to spare. It's better now, but still pretty frugal. I try to funnel my money into books; real ones.

I was intimidated at first and we had to switch a lot of stuff around last year because I was trying to be what I thought was "acceptable" instead of what I wanted to be and what worked for us. And that's one of two major keys to homeschooling: you have to do what works for your family in order to have a healthy and successful journey. Every single homeschooling family is different. Don't compare! The other key is realistic expectations. I think it's important to recognize if traditional school is necessary when it's necessary, but a lot of moms make a half-hearted attempt to try it out and then usually quit after a year or less. I have a friend who did that twice. It is a HUGE exercise in perseverance, and most of the benefits are long-term, and there will be bad days! But if the overall goals and methods of your homeschool are still worth the trials, then use that patience you mentioned and press through the tough days (or declare an impromptu field trip or lazy day--some days just weren't made for studying!). I sort of compare it to natural childbirth in a way, for what that might be worth.

So sorry I wrote a novel! I hope all that isn't overwhelming or too terribly disjointed. Whatever you decide, good luck!! Homeschooling is one of those things where it is a different way to do and look at things, but it's not nearly as scary or impenetrable as it appears at first. My biggest struggles personally have been overcoming the school-ingrained feelings of inferiority, as well as balancing the different aspects of our day (chores, meals, study, play, errands). But I love having my babies home with me and being able to see them discover things and teach each other and play their pretend with each other (and yes they do fight, too). But everyone's reasons and journey are different, so again, no comparisons! I'm just sharing my own experiences and thoughts, to be taken with as much salt as you like! Best wishes!

Last edited by ZZ0607; August 28th, 2013 at 06:36 AM.