View Single Post
August 28th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
My almost 2 year old has me feeling completely in the weeds right now. I seriously don't know what to do with her.
I know part of it is wanting attention and part of it is her age, but she is out of control.
I'd say she spends at least 3 hours (total) per day SCREAMING at the top of her lungs wile writhing on the floor having a temper tantrum. She throws things, hits, shoves, pulls hair and BITES.
Even when she's being "good" she's being difficult--for instance, if I sit on the couch to nurse the baby she comes and sits right by me, which is fine with me. And she curious about the nursing, which is also fine. She wants to touch my breast while I'm nursing which is certainly not my favorite thing, but I'm ok with her being curious. What I'm NOT ok with is her grabbing it and ripping it out of baby's mouth to look at it, consider drinking herself then saying yuck. Or kicking at me and the baby while she lays next to me on the couch watching a show. Or trying to climb up on my shoulders. Or trying to climb on top of the baby. Or shrieking at the top of her lungs just to watch the baby jump.
I have to put her up in my room on the 3rd floor and LOCK the door so she can get a decent nap--all my other kids were able to nap in a cradle in the kitchen but not Cecily, because Adelaide is screaming and grabbing the cradle and shaking it around and throwing toys in the cradle and stealing blankets out of the cradle.
Her older sisters don't want to play with her anymore because she's constantly stealing toys right out of their hands and physically assaulting them! I can't blame them, I don't want to be around her either when she's acting like that!
My older kids were much more verbal by this age (and less violent and loud!) than Adelaide. Time outs don't seem to make any positive impact on her behavior and it's a nightmare to try to get her to sit in time out anyway.
I am at my wits' end with her and I really don't know what to do. I know a lot of you have kids with the same or similar age gaps to mine, so you've been through it, do you have any advice? It's not like the lack of sleep is doing anything good for my patience.