View Single Post
August 28th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Super Mommy
Grace, I know this is a total shock, but congratulations on this new life inside you! Your small son or daughter is probably only about the size of an orange seed but already the heart is beating away and the circulatory system is forming. It's really incredible how quickly they develop at the begnning and you can track the development on many websites like this one which is fun.

As to the practical side of things, I would take a few days just to process and adjust to the news on your own. It's a big deal and a big change. Your baby's father is young, and while there's not way to know how he'll react to the news, we can hope he'll take responsibility and man up. Regardless, now is the time to surround yourself with supportive people. Hoepfully your family can fill that role, and if not, some good friends.

Most importantly savor these first few weeks of growing your baby and don't stress. You have plenty of time to work out the details. Don't feel pressured to tell anyone right away -- it's your secret and you can enjoy it as a secret as long as you like. Do, however, get on some good prenatals, stop your birth control pills, and make an appointment to see the doctor. If you'd like to get an early peek at your little one a crisis pregnancy center near you most likely will offer a free ultrasound.

I also recommend joining a due date club on this website. Having other moms to share your pregnancy with is fun and encouraging, as well as a great resource for questions. Best wishes and let us know how things go!