View Single Post
August 30th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyBee View Post
I think that if you woke up several days in a row engorged and didn't do anything about it (nurse or pump) then your body would think you didn't need the milk at that time and it would stop making so much then. At the same time, if you do nurse or pump then it should tell your body you do need the milk at that time and it should keep making it. So, basically supply and demand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that!
This exactly. Being engorged itself won't decrease your supply but not doing anything it will. That's why, in the beginning when most women become engorged as their milk comes in, it's not recommended to pump to relieve the discomfort. Pumping will only tell your body that you need all that milk so it will continue to keep making that amount, therefore making you continue to be engorged.

So long story short, if you have been struggling with supply, you did the right thing. I would say if this is the first time you have been engorged it sounds like your supply is picking up so good for you!!!