View Single Post
August 31st, 2013, 12:45 PM
Hiya!
Hmmm. That is a tough one. I feel like a lot of the books are geared toward the benefits of natural birth, for mom and baby. But they also will contain other aspects of NCB that are important for crunchy folks. I read one called "Natural Childbirth in a Hospital" and I feel that might be a good route for you to go. I can't honestly say I remember much of what it said (I read most of my NCB books before my second child). It does sound like the Bradley Method might be a good one for you. But honestly, even as a crunchy woman, that stuff made me want to vomit. Lol. I guess it's dependent on how the reading appeals to you. Ultimately, I think selecting a care provider who is on board with natural childbirth is going to be your best bet for "preparing" for a NCB in a hospital. There are a lot of docs out that who either intentionally or unwittingly sabatoge their NCB clients because of what they believe about a woman giving birth. I think finding a doctor who is willing to give you time, space, and a minimum of interventions is the first line of defense in a hospital natural childbirth. Then you can address the aspect of pain management. Because, sadly, in a hospital, usually your first battle is not over you being able to manage the pain, but over something like an unnecessary intervention or a restriction that places you at risk of needing other interventions (leading to things like pitocin, epidurals, and c-sections). Good luck! I hope you can find what you want.