View Single Post
September 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Is it appropriate at all to name her after noone? Like pick a name that sounds nice and has a good meaning and just name her that? I don't want to offend my relatives, but at the same time I don't want to name her after someone who I didn't know/feel close with.[/b]
Absolutely. My son, David, was named after dh's grandfather. I never got to meet him, but all my in-law's speak very highly of him. But when my second son was born, we didn't really have a male relative we felt comfortable naming him after. The choice of Aaron was a mixture of wanting a biblical name (we're modern orthodox) and we just liked it.
If I ever have another son, I'll be in a similar position. My grandfather just passed away last month. I was close to him and I loved him very much but I'd have some issues naming a child after him because he was an atheist and always criticized our new found religiousness (even if not to our faces). But, of course, everyone expects that if I have another son, he'll be named after him.

Sharon