View Single Post
September 10th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaby View Post
From what I've read and been told (by my OB while pregnant with DD), sex during a healthy pregnancy is fine and won't cause labor unless you're at the end and your body is ready to give birth. Obviously, if you're on bed/pelvic rest, avoid it, but if you're healthy, its fine.

I read somewhere (I'm not sure how true this is) how endorphins (the chemical responsible for good moods and general feelings of well being) when released into your system by any fun or exciting experiences go through the placenta and make baby happy, too. If that's true, anything that makes you happy benefits baby, too.

I'm gonna google and see if I can find more about this endorphins and baby topic. I'll post links to my findings here.
This is partly true. When you have an orgasm (and a few other times, including child birth and nipple stimulation) releases a hormone called oxytocin. That is what is making your uterus contract. Oxytocin is the "love hormone" and also responsible for why baby is SO alert and awake after birth.

It's healthy for the baby!

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.